Top-10 profitable low-cost or no-cost things you can do OUTSIDE your home:
- Front door: paint or varnish if needed. Your front door is one of the first impressions a homebuyer has of your home. It should scream, “Welcome! I’m well-maintained!”
- Get a “Welcome Friends” doormat and replace (or clean and polish) your mailbox / mailslot, doorbell, light fixture, and address numbers.
- Arrange your patio furniture and BBQ area so buyers can envision entertaining friends there. Consider adding a fountain, especially if you have road noise.
- Paint outside if needed. You might be able to get away with just painting the trim and garage door
- Lawn tip: green it up w/ ammonia sulfate, mow & edge if needed
- Trim any overbearing bushes/trees and add mulch or wood chips
- Liven up the front w/ PLENTY of flowers, planted or in pots — this is probably the most important tip on the list!
- Clean your driveway oil stains — hardware stores sell products that make it easier
- Move any old vehicles, trailers, or boats
- Get your neighbors to clean up their act. I know this can be tough, but we’ve seen many San Diego homesellers lose $1,000s because a neighbor’s home looked terrible.
Top-10 most profitable low- or no-cost things you can do INSIDE your home:
- Clean until it sparkles. A home can never be too clean!
- “If in doubt, move it out”! Get rid of clutter & extra furniture, out of season clothes and items you won’t need for a few months so your closets and cupboards will appear more spacious and organized.
- Follow your nose & eliminate pet and smoke odors. A light, tasteful fragrance is nice but don’t over do the air fresheners or buyers will wonder what you’re hiding!
- Clean or replace your carpet as needed (a “carpet credit” doesn’t work well because it appeals to logic, but buying a home is all emotion)
- If needed, paint the walls & ceiling a neutral color
- De-personalize: tone down kid rooms & remove excess family photos, trophies, memorabilia
- Invest in high wattage or flattering ‘Natura’ light bulbs
- Stage your dining table a la Pottery Barn
- Buy new thick towels for the bathrooms. Think day spa or fancy hotel
- Add a splash of color with a bowl of fruit or an orchid on the kitchen counter. Costco always has beautiful orchids for around $15 and they’ll last a few months.
Thinking of selling your Bay Park, San Diego home or other property? Call me at 619.885.3941 and invite me by to give you tips specific to your home.